Sunday, October 6, 2013

Miriam's Goodbye To Africa


The Skylarks are one of my favorite South African vocal groups and everybody knows I love Miriam Makeba. I should've been singing this song when I left South Africa, but, alas, I was not aware of "Goodbye to Africa" at the time. Though the organ and intro are a little cheesy, this is a beautiful song predicting Makeba's future deep sorrow about not being able to return home, to South Africa, for decades. "Good bye Mother, good bye Father, and to you, my little baby, good bye until we meet again!" Though far from being the best song by The Skylarks, one cannot help but feel the longing and love of Makeba for her homeland, or the song's relevance to her future life, post-Skylarks. Check out this for another good song by The Skylarks I did not discover until quite recently. As one can probably guess, I love this jazzy South African period of music. Rest in peace, Miriam Makeba!

No comments:

Post a Comment