Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Jams of the Day: Mi Son Maracaibo and Can I Change My Mind

Another lovable Benny Moré jam, "Mi Son Maracaibo" is fun, light-hearted, and I swear the horn section reminds me of a line from an old ragtime song, though I doubt there is any relation. Moré is truly a great singer, with so much power and ability to retain notes. Everything about this song just came together. "Pa que to lo baile" indeed!

My other jam of the day is Tyrone Davis's "Can I Change My Mind," from the late 1960s. Listen to that bass and the guitar, so funky and soulful. Davis ain't bad, either, though the song for me is all about that bass and the funky horns. I'm sure many Republican moderates right now are thinking "Please, please, baby, I just wanna change my mind." Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment