Monday, October 7, 2013

Paulette


This song is quite good, avoiding some of the schmaltz of a lot of Caribbean music centered on the electric keyboard or synthesizers. In my opinion, much of African and Caribbean popular music lost its charm following the widespread adoption of synthesizers and electric keyboards (sadly, the case of Ethiopian music illustrates this quite well, though of course the new instruments were cheaper and I suppose more convenient for the musicians themselves, rather than continuing to rely on full bands with horns and other acoustic instruments). "Paulette" also features the voice of Roger Colas, a man I must admit I never heard of until about 2 years ago when visiting relatives in Miami and southern Florida. He has a great voice, and the band's accompaniment, horn section, and restrained yet jubilant percussion (often some of my favorite in Caribbean and West African highlife music) thrill me endlessly. Somewhere about halfway through, the song's structure shifts and recalls Cuban music, perhaps a result of Cuban influence or the general 'lazy' and smooth jazzy atmosphere of the tune. It's undeniably Haitian or French Caribbean. One final reason I may like this version is that it sounds like the same "Paulette" of folk or meringue fame, though it's unquestionable that Weber Sicot recorded the same "Paulette" in 1961 (listen here).

6 comments:

  1. "One final reason I may like this version is that it sounds like the same "Paulette" of folk or meringue fame, though it's unquestionable that Wibert Sicot recorded the same "Paulette" in 1961 (listen here)" Because it's the same song by different artists. Wibert should be Weber. What do you think of this song, have you heard it before? http://belmizik.net/Music/A/Ambassadeurs-Les/Bobine/Bobine.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of the band, but not this song. Nice song though, beautiful. I'll have to look up more of their songs on belmizik.

      Delete
  2. http://haitidoi.com/2013/10/09/the-samana-affair-2/

    What do you think of this? I dont know enough about the specific 'affair' (and I spotted some errors or weird things in the post) but it's interesting nonetheless, I suppose.

    Also, what did you think of Kreyolicious's post on the second part of the 1880s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Samana affair was something I heard of but did not know much about, so thank you for this link. What are the errors you spotted? I'm sorry that Kreyolicious's post didn't have a picture of "La Belle Victoire" aka Victoire Jean-Baptiste http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoire_Jean-Baptiste. Her description of the period seems about right except for the fact that she left out Mr. Sylla V. Laraque who would have been in his thirties and worth $ 20 million if the St Lunaire authors are right. What's your take on this piece of news? http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/report-africa-has-55-billionaires-worth-14388-billion-worlds-richest-black-woman-nigerian/2013/10/08/ca5c3b30-3035-11e3-9ddd-bdd3022f66ee_story.html

      Delete
    2. No problem, I try to follow some good blogs now and then. I might be wrong and have to re-read the piece, but I felt that he kept referring to Toussaint in reference to the affair in 1822, which confused me and seemed like a typo or something. Either I'm crazy and have to re-read it, or maybe, just maybe, I am correct. He also is very dismissive of the chances of a French reconquest of Haiti, but that fear was very real among some Haitians even in the 1830s. But it was strange that Boyer stood up to France in 1822 but then capitulated so easily a few years later...But I'll re-read the post soon to make sure I know what I'm talking about.

      Interesting, I guess that means Oprah is no longer number 1! I wonder how she feels about that? Let's see if she or any of these other billionaires actually do anything good with their money. If they're like their counterparts in the US or elsewhere, probably not.

      Delete
  3. " I might be wrong and have to re-read the piece, but I felt that he kept referring to Toussaint in reference to the affair in 1822, which confused me and seemed like a typo or something. Either I'm crazy and have to re-read it, or maybe, just maybe, I am correct." There have been countless Toussaints in Haitian and pre-Haitian history but only one Toussaint Louverture. Your mistake is your attribution of that name solely to the greatest emancipator of the Americas. With over $2 billion of her own I doubt Oprah's losing sleep over it. I recall reading something from you where you wanted to study the clothing of affranchis. Mrs. Folorunsho Alakija shares your interest in fashion, this shared interest might be your entrée into the rarefied circle of African big money, that's the way that lady did it,Ozwald Boateng, the men's suit designer is also going after that African money. After you scratch and claw your way to the top you can spend that money doing "good". Hahaha

    ReplyDelete