Monday, May 20, 2013

Shotgun!

Jr. Walker and the All-Star's Motown 1965 smash hit, "Shotgun," is one of my favorite songs of all times. With an irresistible funky bass line, honking saxophone, and lyrics calling one to dance, this is my jam. I first heard it properly via Spike Lee's Malcolm X biopic, and one of the later seasons of The Cosby Show used the song as the inspiration for one of their musical introductions (I'll never forget their delightful dancing, especially Tempestt Bledsoe and Malcolm-Jamal Warner's dancing, watch here!). But I digress, the original is the best, and there are some good live versions, too, on youtube. Simple, funky, bluesy, danceable, and Motown! All good things! Check it, here and some good live renditions here and here. Listen to Walker's renditions of "Come See About Me" and "What Does It Take (To Win Your Love)" if you want more delectable funky saxophone.

No comments:

Post a Comment