Thursday, August 11, 2011

Favorites from The Roots, Part VII


Here it is. We're finally at the end. My favorite songs from their last 2 albums, Rising Down and How I Got Over. Rising was a bit of a disappointment but How I Got Over was a very strong album that successfully fused elements of folk, indie rock, R&B, and jazz. 

"Rising Down" is one of the best songs from the album. My boy Mos Def is on it.



"Get Busy" has a great beat.



"75 Bars"

"I Will Not Apologize" samples Fela Kuti so it's an instant classic for me. More rappers should sample Mr. Black President.



"The Show"



"Rising Up" uses a go-go beat. Love me some go-go. Also sorta fuses jazzy keyboards and Chrisette Michele's lyrics.



"A Peace of Light" from How I Got Over is good, though it's not rap at all. More like jazzy R&B.

"Walk Alone" features a prominent piano, a choir, and strong vocals.

"Dear God 2.0" is great. Not sure if the original song is better than this cover by The Roots, but probably not. "If everything is made in China, are we Chinese?" I also gotta give my boy Questlove a shoutout for his drumming on this one.

"Radio Daze" is one of their best efforts as well. I love Quest's drumming, and the prominent piano. Such a great fusion of jazz, R&B and hip-hop.


"Now or Never" is also a great song from How I Got Over


"How I Got Over" is also a jazzy, keyboard-driven song. Love the drumming on this one as well. The song itself refers to a famous gospel song of the same name.

"Right On"

"The Fire" is anthemic. Also gotta show some love for John Legend.

"Doin It Again" also features John Legend

No comments:

Post a Comment