Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Best of Marvin Gaye



Here are some of my favorite Marvin Gaye songs. I love that man. R.I.P. brother.

Stubborn Kind of Fellow

Hitch Hike: this song has Latin elements

Pride and Joy is one of my favorite R&B songs from Motown. This gospel stomp features Gaye's majestic vocals over a brilliant backing vocalist group.

Can I Get a Witness

You're a Wonderful One is another gem from Gaye's 1960s Motown output. I believe Diana Ross and the Supremes are backing vocals.

How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You

I'll Be Doggone

Aint That Peculiar

It Takes Two, a duet between Kim Weston and Gaye

Your Precious Love

I Heard It Through the Grapevine is up there with the Jackson 5's performance of Who's Loving You as the best Motown song. Gaye's vocals, the Funk Brothers (Motown studio band) backing him, and the dark, ominous feel of this song made it distinct from most Motown singles, which were usually 'happy' and 'feel good' music.

What's Goin On is another odd Motown hit. Berry Gordy initially thought it would be a failure...


Mercy Mercy Me

Inner City Blues, second to I Heard It Through the Grapevine as my favorite Marvin Gaye song

You're The Man shows the funky side of Gaye

Trouble Man

Where Are We Going has a great smooth Soul, Latin feel.

Let's Get It On

Got to Give It Up, Gaye at his funkiest

Sexual Healing

I Want You

Right On is a good example of R&B/Latin fusions

No comments:

Post a Comment