Thursday, November 21, 2013

Some Videos Pertaining to Haiti


Neal interviews Duke professor Laurent Dubois, whose work I have reviewed here (and check out this) Like I've read elsewhere, Dubois also points to a study finding Haiti to be one of the least dangerous places in the Americas based on homicide rates but after the earthquake soldiers were sent to 'guard' supplies and emergency relief aid. Of course, it's no surprise the media portrayed Haiti afterwards as a land of lawlessness and excessive crime after the earthquake, the same thing happened in New Orleans after Katrina. Oh, and I like Mark Anthony Neal (I saw him speak at my university, here) and the interview is worthwhile. Dubois also gave an interesting lecture here, too. I am quite fond of Dubois's work, he clearly cares about Haiti and is sympathetic to and interested in defending the dignity of Haiti's poor whose own voices are too often silenced or made into the cause of their own abject poverty. Dubois is a master of providing accessible and well-intentioned scholarly work for the mostly ignorant and/or apathetic masses who might just believe everything they see on CNN or think Pat Roberton is on to something.

I am also quite fond of this beautiful project on the life of Marie Vieux Chauvet, whose Love, Anger, Madness provided me with some haunting yet irresistible readings two years ago (you can also watch it here). Also, check out this 3-part video (1, 2, 3) featuring Matthew J. Smith, whose work on Haitian history has come up before on this site. Also, Rebecca Scott's work on the re-enslavement of the Saint-Dominguan diaspora is something I have been trying to learn more about.

No comments:

Post a Comment