Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Danzas from Daniel Santos and Julita Ross


Santos sings some stately danzas de Puerto Rico. I like his approach, using Afro-Caribbean hand percussion. It's quite different from the style and accompaniment of Julita Ross, whose voice I adore, but lacks characteristically Afro-Caribbean instrumentation. Indeed, the danza is the most "European" of Puerto Rican genres, but check out "Amor Perdido." Regardless, both are great in their own ways, and Santos I like even more for singing some Haitian tunes, such as "Carolina Acao." Ross's "Odiame" is also quite good, feautring some hand percussion and less rooted in the European-influenced orchestras of the past. Indeed, there is a touch of jazz!

While you're at it, enjoy "Baranoa" by Pedro Laza y sus Pelayeros, which sounds a lot like Angel Viloria's music to my ears. I need to keep expanding my knowledge of older Colombian coastal groups and Mexican music from this era in Latin America, too. Oh, and don't forget Angel Viloria's "Rosaura." I am not sure what draws me to Angel Viloria y Su Conjunto, but the band's horns are infectious, even with the accordion. 

2 comments:

  1. Listen to this non-traditional Haitian music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCF1SzhtuLk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzz5lho_UXM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, another good band. Actually, I think my cousin's husband shared one of their songs on Facebook or something not too long ago.

      Delete