Saturday, August 10, 2013

Billy Butler and The Enchanters' "You're Gonna Be Sorry"


The world should know by now that I love me some Curtis Mayfield, particularly the 1960s output with The Impressions. I also love me songs he wrote and produced for other Chicago-based soul artists of that decade, such as Walter Jackson, Billy Butler, Major Lance, The Opals, and many others. Some of his compositions, such as those for Major Lance, incorporated Latin rhythms while others were just his usual style of soul composition, with 'cute' and catchy melodies, a little brass or other orchestration, sweet soulful singing, and perhaps a touch of Johnny Pate producing to bring in touches of jazz or blues to the downright spiritual and gospel tones of Mayfield. Check out this song to see what I am talking about and you too will forever fall in love with Curtis Mayfield, specifically his earlier work (not that his solo material is 'bad' at all. To me it's like pre-afrobeat Fela vs. highlife jazz Fela because both are good for you in the end, but I prefer me the earlier period in his music).

No comments:

Post a Comment