Saturday, March 4, 2017

Grant Green's My Favorite Things


An astonishing and Coltrane-like interpretation of "My Favorite Things" from Grant Green. Green is accompanied by pianist McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones, so comparisons to Coltrane are inevitable. Despite some expected similarities between Coltrane and Grant's approach to this powerful song, I am particularly drawn to McCoy Tyner's piano solo here. Yes, there's the heavy block chords and chromaticism that we've come to expect in Tyner's style, but he plays more ferociously here, as if playing against the more ethereal solo on the famous Coltrane recording. Perhaps because of Jones's even more propulsive drumming, Tyner swings even harder. Maybe this is a sign I should move past my Bill Evans obsession and revisit my old McCoy Tyner obsession for the next few months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment