Sunday, January 12, 2014

Nemours Jean-Baptiste's Rhythme Commercial


I love old Caribbean music, especially the sounds of large orchestras before music was cheapened by heartless electric guitars (just playing). I just prefer an older aesthetic in a lot of Caribbean and African music, especially if it's very jazz. For an example of the influential Nemours Jean-Baptiste, who was influenced by Dominican merengue, Cuban music, US jazz, and other styles of music, check out "Rhythme Commercial," which follows the 'compas direct' rhythm innovated by Jean-Baptiste in 1950s Port-au-Prince. Despite all these non-Haitian influences, compas still flows from Haitian folk music, mereng, and even older dance music of Haiti, such as contredanse.  

For any bored readers, check out a song by Juan Luis Guerra based on "Rhythme Commercial," his own "Mal de Amor." I never liked Juan Luis Guerra ("Ojala que llueva cafe" was the song I first heard by him back in my high school days, and I never cared for his voice). Interesting song though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment