Sunday, December 29, 2013

Haitian and Jamaican Jams for Saturday


Enjoy some Haitian and Jamaican music tonight! Ran into an old Jamaican man who reminded me that Haiti and Jamaica are 'siblings,' so let's listen to Les Diables du Rhythme and some Gregory Isaacs. Nothing better than some good reggae to complete the night well. Oh, and enjoy some songs by Les Corvington, a 1960s group that is quite good. I think the 1960s and 1970s might be my favorite period in Haitian kompa, with some stuff from the 1950s and 1980s being aight. If only I could track down some groups from the 1940s, such as outfits Bebo Valdes recorded with, then I would be set. 


In addition, check out a 1960s twoubadou Haitian song, which shows its debt to the Cuban son quite obviously. Catchy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment