Friday, November 30, 2012

I"m the One Who Loves You

Curtis Mayfield wrote one of my favorite examples of Chicago soul, "I'm the One Who Loves You." Beautiful background harmony, orchestration, and arrangement. Jerry Butler, The Impressions, Santana, and Stevie Wonder have recorded versions of the song, too, although my favorite remains that of The Impressions with lead vocals from Curtis Mayfield. Here is the Jerry Butler version, which is quite moving and similar to that of The Impressions. The best version, in my humble opinion, remains the one featuring Curtis on lead. In addition to Jerry Butler and The Impressions, Stevie Wonder recorded a stirring tribute, too while Santana's falls rather flat in comparison. Major Lance, Chicago soul singer who often sung material by Mayfield, also recorded a great version! Another catchy song with the same title by Darrell Banks is also worth hearing.

R.I.P. Curtis Mayfield, your legacy lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment