Saturday, February 28, 2015

Nick Stone's Mr. Clarinet

Crime fiction writer Nick Stone, son of a Haitian mother and Scottish historian, Norman Stone, has written quite the thriller. Mr. Clarinet at its best moments is as suspenseful and engaging as Walter Mosley's writings, meaning that it's impossible to put down. Nonetheless, I am quite disappointed that a writer of Haitian descent, who has spent years in his mother's home, would write a novel full of so many stereotypes, concocted tales of superstition, rumors and savagery. Nick Stone obviously knows Haiti well enough to write about a missing child case without delving so deep into the occult and completely made up claims regarding Haitian history, but hey, that's what sells. Write a book about Haiti, throw in zombies, black magic, child sacrifice, 'voodoo,' and exceptional violence.

At the novel's conclusion, the occult is revealed to not have the role one thinks, and the novel plays on the 'superstition.' The protagonist grows on the reader, too, although only because the mystery at the heart of the novel compels the reader to finish. I originally intended to read the next Max Mingus thriller, which is about the past investigation into Boukman in Miami, but I think I have read enough tales about child sacrifice by Haitians.

2 comments:

  1. "...but hey, that's what sells. Write a book about Haiti, throw in zombies, black magic, child sacrifice, 'voodoo,' and exceptional violence."

    And that's exactly one of my many problems with a lot of Haitian and second-generation Haitians living in the U.S. (no offence). The U.S. has created such a rich discourse about Haitian Otherness in great part based gross caricatures of Vodou and instead of combating this, most Haitians give right in and exploit those stereotypes for monetary gains. I find this absolutely disappointing and it has very big consequences that I can see everyday on popular media when discussing Haitian history. It's no longer about trying to put events in their proper historical context, it's about accepting a body of non-sense without any attempts to deconstruct anything and beginning historical inquiry from there.

    I apologize if I sound a bit passionate, but this is one of the main reasons why my friend more or less abandoned discussing Haiti outside of a certain circles, and why I auto-censure before posting anything online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not offended at all. I know what you mean. Many Haitian-Americans exploits Haitian Otherness for monetary gains, and I have seen it among Haitian-Americans in Florida and elsewhere.

      Delete