Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Best of Nat King Cole



Nat King Cole's trio recordings in the 1940s are pure bliss. The unusual trio format of piano, bass and electric guitar makes Nat's trio stand out from the rest. And of course Nat was a great piano player before a great vocalist, so by listening to his trio recordings one is exposed to his virtuoso swing-style piano playing and stride approach to rhythm. His trio records, made before he became a pop singer, also influenced jazz trios across the country, including the legendary trios headed by other jazz pianists. And of course one cannot overlook Nat's development as a singer. You know, a lot of people tell me I sing like him. Some say even better...

Here are several links to my favorites. Enjoy!


L-O-V-E: this one is just for one. Such a great song!

Sweet Georgia Brown



Fla-Ga-La-Pa

It's Better To Be By Yourself




Come On Baby, Do




The Frim Fram Sauce



I'm An Errand Boy For Rhythm



I'm In the Mood for Love



Route 66



Could Ja



Baby, Baby All the Time



How High the Moon



You Call It Madness



The Best Man




You're the Cream in My Coffee



You Don't Learn That in School



Meet Me At No Special Place



Naughty Angeline



This Is My Night to Dream



Too Marvelous for Words



Cole Capers



Blues In My Shower



Save the Bones For Henry Jones



Dream a Little Dream of Me



Love Nest



Then I'll Be Tired of You



Little Girl



No Moon at All



You've Changed



Confess



Blue and Sentimental



Lillette



Laugh! Cool Clown



Bop-Kick



Yes, Sir That's My Baby



Etymology



Top Hat Bop



My Baby Just Cares For Me



For You My Love



Honeysuckle Rose



Sweet Lorraine



Smile



All For You



I'm Lost




Got a Penny, Benny


Straighten Up and Fly Right



Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You




Jumpin' at Capitol


If You Can't Smile and Say Yes



It's Only a Paper Moon



Prelude in C-Sharp Minor



What Is This Thing Called Love?





No comments:

Post a Comment