Friday, July 22, 2011

Haitian Folk Song: Mesi Bon Dieu

One of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard is Mesi Bon Dieu (Thank You God). It's a Haitian folks song composed by the underrated Haitian classical guitarist, Frantz Casseus. The haunting beauty of the song and the religious lyrics led me to believe it was a Haitian vodou chant, but I currently believe Casseus wrote the song under the influence of Haitian religious music. I include here the first recording I could find (Frantz Casseus accompanies Puerto-Rican vocalist Lolita Cuevas), a jazz interpretation by Charlie Rouse which has the same ominous feel as the original, and Harry Belafonte's wondrous interpretation (his kreyol doesn't sound too bad either).

Frantz Casseus and Lolita Cuevas present the tune in the simplest way. Just acoustic guitar and voice. I find Lolita's voice a little weak here since I don't 'feel' the spirituality of the song from her.

Charlie Rouse's jazz-inspired take features Rouse on sax, electric and acoustic guitar, and 3 percussionists (drummer, congas, shekere). Rouse takes this song in an interesting direction during his solo, almost suggesting the Middle Eastern or Africa. The extra percussion is also interesting to me since I find it rather reminiscent of Andean and other South American musical traditions even though it does follow a Haitian rhythm. I suppose South American rhythms often share the same African antecedents as Haitian music so I shouldn't be surprised by the similarities.

Harry Belafonte's version features a marimba (or is that a steel drum?) that doesn't really go with the atmosphere of this haunting song, but his vocals are perfect.

http://www.belmizik.net/Music-Library/I/Issa-El-Saieh/La-Belle-Epoque-Volume-1.html Check this site to listen to Issa El Saieh's jazzier version of the song. More brass and influences from Cuban and American jazz

Here is another interesting take on the song with an electric keyboard and a heavy jazz influence. I believe the musician is a jazz pianist/keyboardist from Martinique.

No comments:

Post a Comment