Thursday, September 19, 2013

No Thing On Me (Cocaine Song)


Absolutely beautiful. This song epitomizes the best of post-Impressions Curtis Mayfield: embracing the funk idiom while retaining the sweet and soulful strings, horns, and smooth vocals of his earlier Chicago soul days. "My life's a natural high" indeed! With music like this, it's no surprise the Super Fly soundtrack was so popular and Mayfield rightfully honored by his work. I will be honest, part of the reason I love this song is the contributions of Johnny Pate's arrangements and conducting, a key ingredient in the brilliance and touch of jazz and a uniquely Chicago sound in Mayfield's music. I have written extensively on the importance of the Pate-Mayfield musical partnership here. Enjoy, I know I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment