Monday, September 30, 2013

Houston Person's Jamilah and Young-Holt Unlimited's Soulful Strut

I must say, I am quite fond of "Jamilah," a funky jazz number by Person from the 1970s. Funky, soulful, jazzy, what's not to love? The drummer is on point and Person's blowing helps the song steer away from the set path of stereotypical jazz fusion or smooth jazz of its period. Indeed, Person shows off some influences from avant-garde jazz with his honking style, somewhat reminiscent of the work of Ornette Coleman yet brewed in a soul-funk soup. Indeed, this is perhaps one of my favorite jazz recordings to feature so prominently an electric organ, too.

Also, finally discovered the title of a song I have been jamming to for a few months now, "Soulful Strut," by Young-Holt Unlimited, a Chicago area R&B group from the 1960s that featured some jazz musicians. Barbara Acklin sang the version with lyrics, but it's surprisingly less moving or interesting, perhaps due to her brash and 'blues shouting' approach to the breezy sound did not mesh well on radio. In addition, much like "Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson, I hear something "Caribbean" in the lilting "Soulful Strut," though perhaps I am just imagining it. Regardless, it's a beautiful, unforgettable melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment