Thursday, July 31, 2014

Sounds from Algeria: Rai


Funky and strange rai from 1970s Algeria, featuring Bellemou & Benfissa. I like Bellemou's brassiness and funk or Western influences (check out this one), but this is just amazing. I am no aficionado of rai or other North African genres of music, but it would seem like earlier rai styles are significantly better. Alas, if only the genre was not forced underground and recorded on inferior cassette technology in the late 1960s and 1970s...Regardless, I still think I might prefer some of the pop-rai sounds of Cheb Khaled or a less 'Westernized' sound from Cheikha Rimitti. Some of Rachid Taha's music is good, too, but I guess I just prefer African musical styles from West, Central, and Southern Africa (no offense, East Africa, though Ethiopian music can be quite good as the Ethiopiques series demonstrated).

No comments:

Post a Comment