Sunday, August 12, 2018

Mr. Biswas Is Home

The news of Naipaul's death has me in a strange place, emotionally. A good part of a year of my life was dedicated to exploring his literary works, as well as the novels and short stories of his younger brother, Shiva. Unlike other fans of his work, I prefer the earlier comic fiction of the Caribbean, and Naipaul more so than the usual writer successfully brought the reader into a different time, place, and world. Naipaul, and his brother Shiva, brought countless hours of joy and reflection for a year of my life, and for that, enriched my understanding of myself and the world around me. Nothing could have been a greater gift, and I shall always remember the commitment to the life of intellect, the desire to escape from the periphery, that motivated this great writer. Rest in peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment