Monday, February 6, 2017

Someday My Prince Will Come


My approach to jazz, like most things in life, revolves around obsessively pursuing an individual's work and then switching to another musician, writer, or scholar. My most recent Bill Evans obsession was about a year ago, but out of the blue, I was listening to a lot of his live performances in the last week or so. Somehow, this recent bout of Bill Evans obsessive listening, led me to a delightful (and short) anime series called Kids on the Slope. Directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, it's a beautiful tale of friendship, romance, and growing up that uses jazz music as the basis for the budding friendship between the two main characters. And the main character is modeled on Bill Evans, performing "Someday My Prince Will Come" to great effect in one of the later episodes, meaning this gem has been in my head on repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment